Tuesday 2 October 2007

Quick Fried Rice - chop! chop!



When I make my fried rice, I like to use jasmine rice as I really like its fragrance! I make the rice early on in the day and then once it has drained well, I refrigerate it uncovered so it can dry out somewhat, and become nice and cold..THIS is the secret to a good, homemade fried rice!

Another tip I'd like to share is, with the eggs, I like to add a ½ teaspoon of turmeric to them before making an omelette with them. This gives them a nice extra yellow colour. It is mainly just a visual thing - but thought I'd share the tip anyway! I LOVE food that LOOKS good, as we all know, food isn't just about the taste, it involves all the senses.

I also make a large amount, as it is great as leftovers/lunch the following day, in fact, I find the flavour actually improves.

2 C jasmine rice
4 eggs
3 Tb vegetable oil
4 bacon rashers, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
4 shallots, trimmed, finely sliced
1/2 cup frozen peas and corn, thawed
3 Tb soy sauce, plus extra to serve

Cook the rice in a large saucepan of boiling water for 12 minutes or until tender. Drain, refrigerate until required.
Using a whisk, lightly beat eggs in a small bowl, adding ½ tsp of turmeric to enhance the colour. Heat oil in non-stick wok or large frying pan over medium heat. Add eggs. Swirl over base to form an omelette. Cook 2 minutes. Turn over. Cook 2 minutes until set. Transfer to a chopping board. Set aside to cool slightly. Cut into short strips.
Add bacon to wok. Cook 4 minutes until light golden. Add carrot. Stir fry 1 minute. Add shallots, peas and rice. Cook, stirring, 3-4 minutes. Add egg and soy sauce. Stir until heated through. Serve immediately, with extra soy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your fried rice looks great! Fried rice is always one of my favorite foods, but for some reason when I try and make it myself it just never comes out quite right.