Tuesday 25 September 2007

Anna Pavlova





So was it the Aussies or the Kiwis that can lay claim to this delicious dessert that was named in honour of the famous ballerina, Anna Pavlova, who toured Australia and New Zealand in the 1920's?? You can read more about the Pavlova debate here.

Again, my Kenwood Patissier got a good workout, but beating eggies until they form soft peaks is nothing for this powerful machine. I remember years ago, when I first moved out of home (1994) I owned an electric handmixer and even that used to take me eons to make the egg white form soft peaks..but with my darling Patissier, I turn my back on it for 2 minutes, and before my eyes, soft, white, voluminous and billowy egg whites!

So ingredients and quantities, here we go...
6 egg whites
1 1/2 C caster sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar


Put egg whites into your mixer, and beat on high until they form soft white peaks.

At this stage, add 1 tsp cream of tartar, and slowly add the 1 1/2 C caster sugar, the mixture should now have a really dense and glossy appearance.


Line a tray with some baking parchment, and mound the pavlova mixture into the centre, smoothing out until you have a rustic circle, it doesn't have to be all pretty and perfect.


Bake at 150c for 30 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 120c for an hour.


When done, allow to cool in the oven with the door ajar.


Once completely cooled, mound some whipped cream on top and all around and some fruits on top..I used strawberries and kiwi fruit..but you can use banana, peaches, roasted macadamias, carambola or 'star fruit', blueberries, raspberries, passionfruit etc etc etc - let your imagination run WILD!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yummmm
you definately know how to make my mouth water Sammi!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi there you have a great blog,lovely recipes. Feel free to visit my blog too :)

Jeena xx

click here for food recipes

HollynCharley said...

Cooking and Great photography, Both my passions...
And I am so jealous that you have a Kenwood Patissier. Oh how I dream of owning one of those...and I just showed my hubby your pav and he thinks that he might have to look into getting me the mixer, finally!!! Hahahaha! You are my kinda gal, can't wait to meet you!!! ;o) Thinking we will have much in common.